Saturday, November 10, 2007

Funerals

In the past three weeks, my husband and I have had at least 6 funerals we could have attended, but due to time and travel constraints, we've only attended four of them. While these funerals are, as expected, times of sorrow, they've also been full of the joy of seeing old friends and unexpected surprises.

Last week, I attended the funeral of a dear family friend, Gus Thau. He had pretty much grown up with my dad and my uncle, so I've known Gus my whole life. In fact, my dad and Gus were so close at one time, that they both started dating their wives about the same time, got married within 2 weeks of each other, and built their first homes after they got married in the same subdivision.

While the funeral was a great opportunity to meet more of my dad's childhood friends and to learn more about Gus, the part that I will always remember is how Gus was buried. He was buried in his pajamas and bathrobe! I absolutely love that idea. I mean, when you're entering your eternal rest, why not be dressed comfortably!!

Yesterday, Tim and I attended the funeral of the grandmother of our dear friends, Todd and Robyn Leyden. Violet, affectionately called "Gi-Gi-Vi" by her great-grandchildren was 100 years old! She lived a long, full, and blessed life. As we learned at the funeral, she loved showtunes and dreamed of being a dancer in Las Vegas. So, at the cemetary, we gathered around the casket and sang, "Hello, Dolly". I think that was the first time I've ever sung a showtune at anything other than a school musical! What a beautiful way to celebrate this life that was lived.

No comments: